Please read full Job Description PDF at axisdance.org/join-our-team before submitting application materials
to firstname.lastname@example.org | Application Deadline: March 26th, 2021, 5pm PST
AXIS Dance Company teaches dance and educates about collaboration and disability through community engagement and outreach programs. The Community Engagement Manager will ensure the successful implementation and production of AXIS’s robust engagement programming locally and on tour. They are responsible for maintaining relationships with key partners, including schools, presenters, and community organizations.
The Community Engagement Manager will lead our current programs while also building a vibrant and relevant community engagement program for a post-pandemic era. Through in-person and virtualprogramming, the Community Engagement Manager will connect communities locally, nationally, and internationally, providing access to AXIS’s work that supports creative explorations and showcases the beauty and limitless possibility of difference. The Community Engagement Manager brings their deep community connections and takes a key role in ensuring accessibility, equity, and inclusion through diverse partnerships.
Drawing on their (and AXIS’s) existing professional relationships and networks, they will contribute to expanding the visibility and outreach of the organization. The Community Engagement Manager is a key player in guaranteeing the continuity of AXIS’ programs and their alignment with the mission. This position reports to the Executive Director, with a close collaborative relationship with the Artistic Director and Company Manager.
Roles & Responsibilities:
● Manage, coordinate, and promote AXIS’s Education & Outreach programs, including how these programs may look moving forwards, integrating virtual delivery as a hybrid option.
● Manage, develop, and implement new education and engagement activities and programs and re-imagine current programs to address changing needs.
● Apply Strategic Plan initiatives in relation to engagement, education, and outreach – giving feedback on best practices and opportunities in the areas of community engagement.
● Organizes the yearly plan to implement all education programming to achieve the set goals of the organization.
● Set, track, and report the impact of AXIS’ Education & Outreach programs – internally and externally
● Provides guidance and support to AXIS’s grant writer to maintain current funding and seek new funding sources specific to the educational and community engagement programs.
● Works closely with marketing to coordinate messaging and materials to support the AXIS brand in all educational activities
● Facilitates research to test the efficacy of programming through surveys and pre-and-post-questionnaires
● Manage and implement accessibility services for all programs
● Manage and implement COVID-19 protocols for all outreach programs
● Oversees and maximizes the community impact of instructional programs that bring AXIS artists, teaching artists, and other collaborators into a variety of settings including schools, local community centers, touring presenters and other venues.
● Represent AXIS Dance Company externally with enthusiasm and confidence, providing leadership on local and national committees and coalitions, including DanceUSA, National Dance Education Organization (NDEO), and California Dance Education Association (CDEA), among others.
● Connect to the broader Oakland/Bay Area community and dance institutions by maintaining partnerships and associations with a variety of community groups and organizations, including Shawl Anderson, Dancer’s Group, ODC, Alameda County Department of Education, Yerba Buena Gardens Festival, Presidio Trust, Luna Dance Institute, San Francisco Ballet, Young Audiences, East Bay Sanctuary Covenant and more.
The model candidate will possess the following qualifications and experience:
● Significant experience in dance and/or arts education highly desired – Bachelor’s degree in Dance/Arts Education favorable
● At least 5 years of experience Education Outreach for performing arts/dance organization
● Strong evidence of project management in a performing arts context
● Experience with grant timelines and reporting – including data collection and analysis
● Relationship building
● A commitment to the mission, goals, and work of AXIS Dance Company
● Demonstrated excellence in writing, organization, and communication skills – ability to manage
projects and deadlines successfully within ambitious time frames.
● Capacity to work independently and collaboratively as needed.
● Familiarity with Mac word processing & Web platforms (Google Suite, Asana, Mac software,
Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint) – knowledge of Salesforce beneficial
● Demonstrated knowledge around issues of inclusion, diversity, access, and equity.
● An understanding of the Oakland/Bay Area community is desirable, OR a demonstrated record of
being able to rapidly engage with and become a part of a new community is important.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and three references to email@example.com by
Monday, March 15 at 5pmPT. Shortlisted applicants will be notified for an interview at the end of March.
Please note, some positions require a background check. Applicants must be based in the United States
and be able to be lawfully employed.
Compensation and Benefits
AXIS offers competitive compensation with a salary range of $45 – $55,000 per year depending on
experience. This position could be a part-time (30hrs/week) or full-time position. A robust benefits
package, including health insurance, paid holidays, paid time off, and the ability to work from home at this