Root Division invites artists working in all genres to submit work for our annual juried exhibition, Introductions 2021. Each year, Root Division presents the work of 12 Bay Area artists in an exhibition and catalogue juried by three prominent arts professionals.
Introductions highlights emerging Bay Area artists without gallery representation. Artists are selected through a highly competitive juror review based on the conceptual and formal strength of the work. The resulting exhibition includes a diverse range of media and subject matter featuring video, installation, sculpture, photography and painting.
Introductions is a keystone of Root Division’s exhibition programming — offering exposure to emerging artists and a chance for the public to learn about up and coming creative voices.
Aleesa Pitchamarn Alexander, Ph.D.: Assistant Curator of American Art, Cantor Arts Center, Stanford University
Jovanna Venegas: Assistant Curator of Contemporary Art, SFMOMA
and additional juror TBD
Jun 14, 2021 at 11:59pm
August 25 – September 18, 2021
▪ Artists must be living in one of 9 counties of the San Francisco Bay Area or Sacramento.
▪ Artwork submitted for review (or work very similar in nature to that submitted) must be available for listed exhibition dates.
▪ Artists cannot have existing local gallery representation.
Please submit the following materials in a single email to email@example.com with the subject line “Introductions 2021_Last Name”. Please limit total attachments to 10MB.
▪ 4 images (jpegs: 72dpi) AND/OR a link to 3-minute clip of video on Vimeo or other video platform. Please label each jpg as “ImageNumber_Last Name” i.e. “01_Cortez”
▪ Artist CV (1-2 page max)
▪ Artist Statement (1 page max)
Online Application Form:
Completed application form available at this link.
▪ E-payment* can be paid securely online at this link.
Please note that the $20 fee* must be on file by 06/14/2021 for the email submission to be considered.
* Fees go to support stipends for jurors and exhibiting artists as well as the production of a full-color exhibition catalog. In an effort to provide equitable access to this opportunity, artists can request a fee waiver by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org.
** Artists selected for the exhibition will be notified in mid-July via email or phone about the inclusion of their work in the show. Representatives from Root Division will conduct studio visits as necessary, but good documentation of work for submission is strongly suggested. **
Please email email@example.com with any questions.