Performing Arts Theater Manager
Auburn State Theatre, Incorporated (AST) is a nonprofit organization located in Auburn, California. The mission of the organization is to enhance the quality of life and cultural awareness of our community by providing performing arts, film and educational experiences.
For additional information, please visit: www.livefromauburn.com
This position reports directly to the Board of Directors and is an on-site, full-time performing arts Theater Manager.
Under the direction of the Board of Directors, this position will coordinate the daily operations of a 340-seat community performing arts Theater and the continuing success of the nonprofit organization. The primary focus of this position is to professionally manage the venue while booking live events and producing an in-house season of entertainment and film as well as working with community performing arts groups in the production of their various programs.
Responsibilities include: scheduling and management of all part-time staff; booking a variety of live music and entertainment; coordination and supervision of events taking place in the venue; facility rental functions including managing a complicated calendar, communication with all Theater users regarding their technical and front of house needs; preparation of all contracts and settlements; overseeing facility maintenance, maintaining technical equipment knowledge, inventory and rental schedules, fundraising knowledge, strategic planning with fundraising staff.
The Ideal Candidate:
The ideal candidate for the Theater Manager position will be self-motivated, extremely professional, enjoy working within all aspects of organizational arts management and have excellent communication skills, both verbal and written. He or she will have experience with booking entertainers and contracts, a wide variety of management skills including supervising employees, managing a customer service program, event production, technical knowledge, budget management and working directly with the public. Experience with community-based projects, including interaction with Board members and volunteers is essential. The individual filling this position must be friendly, team-oriented and able to learn new computer programs quickly. Literacy in MS Office is required, knowledge of Google Docs and QuickBooks is valuable, and ability to quickly learn new software such as Box Office Ticketing and Facility Reservation software is required. Experience in many or all the following job responsibilities is desirable.
· Booking and managing contracts for a variety of entertainment for the stage. Establish and maintain relationships with talent agents and artists to create a full calendar of events including annual film series.
· Hire, supervise, train and schedule all part-time Front of House staff, including Box Office Sales Staff, House Managers, Executive Assistant and event volunteers.
· Hire, supervise, train and schedule all part-time Technical and event production personnel, including the Technical Manager and part-time technical crew.
· Work closely with the Technical Manager in the recruitment, training and scheduling of part-time technical staff and volunteers.
· Supervise recruitment, training, retention and scheduling of front of house Volunteers.
· Act as primary contact for all theater rental clients. Negotiate and implement rental contracts within AST established policies.
· Coordinate relationships with Theater clients ensuring the successful production of each event and the establishment of long-term business relationships.
· Ensure the Theater is managed during all events through direct involvement and the supervision of other Theater personnel; includes production of rental and AST events.
· Supervise box office operations. Supervise employees and volunteers assigned to the box office, concessions and develop group sales, season subscriptions for AST Presents Concerts, Films and State Theater Acting Company productions.
· Plan and oversee season subscriptions.
· Work closely with members of the Board of Directors to coordinate and deliver staffing, event and technical reporting for 12 monthly meetings
· Work with the Board of Directors to ensure the development and monitoring of annual operating budget. Ensure daily deposits, payment of bills and accurate bookkeeping.
· Provide reports to the Board of Directors regarding the operation of the Theater and additional projects. Ensure that AST policies related to Theater operations are followed.
· Monitor, plan and schedule cleaning and maintenance of the Theater, green room and Marquee Room; and oversee property management of the State Theater building
· Provide ongoing professional management of the office including maintaining client records, emails, telephone calls and responding to public inquiries. Represent AST in a professional manner and support the needs of the Theater and its clients.
· Must be willing to work a combination of days, nights and weekends and the flexible schedule required of the Theater event business.
· Excellent organizational, management, customer service and communication skills
· Excellent public relations skills including an enthusiastic interest in working in the Auburn community
· Public speaking skills and ability to represent AST at public meetings and events
· Strong computer skills including, but not limited to, MS Office, PowerPoint, QuickBooks and the ability to quickly learn other software (PC and Mac experience is desirable)
· Outstanding writing skills with ability to compose professional correspondence, press releases and other public documents
· Ability to multi-task and be deadline driven
· Ability to work independently
· Must be skilled at building consensus in a group setting and work well in a creative environment with other individuals with strong opinions and creative ideas
· Experience in development of sponsorship and community fundraising is desirable
· Must be able to provide necessary written and budgetary documentation to Fund Development staff as required
Desirable Experience and Qualifications:
· Minimum Four-year college degree in Theater Management or
· Minimum of five years Venue management or Theater Management
· Thorough knowledge of performing arts and/or event production
· Thorough knowledge of Theater box office and sales operations
· Thorough knowledge of customer service
Salary and Benefits:
· Salary commensurate with experience
· Benefits include paid vacation and sick leave
This position will be open until August 10, 2020. Submit a cover letter and CV/resume by email through the recruitment site you are using or email to email@example.com, please use “Theater Manager App” in the email subject line. Candidates advancing through the interview process will be asked for references.
OR, Submit by mail to:
Theater Manager App
Auburn State Theater
P.O. Box 7733
Auburn CA 95604