Houston, CA, Unknown
ABOUT THE COMMON FIELD 2020 CONVENING: Houston, Texas
The Common Field Convening brings together over 500 visual arts organizers for a four-day gathering to share resources, ideas, and methods for artist-centered spaces, projects and practices. The Convening is a place for practical and social exchanges exploring the current state of the artist-centered field. Common Field seeks proposals for workshops, conversations, panels, and other forms that facilitate value-driven discussions as well as tool and skill sharing.
The goal of the Convening is to develop local and national peer connectivity, build knowledge from the field, and create a growing set of resources to share broadly. The Convening connects and incorporates the interests, themes, and issues of the national Common Field Network with the issues, contexts, and conditions specific to the host location.
The Common Field Convening (originally titled Hand-in-Glove) was founded in Chicago in 2011, and has since been hosted in New Orleans (2013), Minneapolis (2015), Miami (2016), Los Angeles (2017), Philadelphia (2019) and will take place in Houston in 2020 with the help of many invaluable local partners in each location.
Guidelines and Application Online: August 15, 2019
Deadline to Submit Proposals: Monday, October 28, 2019, 11:59PM PST
Proposal Status Notification: December 19, 2019
Convening Dates: April 23 – 26, 2020
– You must be a current Common Field member in order to submit an application. All current members (organizations and organizers) are eligible to apply. To learn more about how to join, visit commonfield.org/join. Scholarships are available to offset the cost of membership.
– Presenters in any proposed session do not have to be Common Field Members, and will be awarded one year of complimentary membership if selected to participate.
– Members can propose to organize sessions that they are not presenters in. Please note that Common Field is unable to support session organizers who are not presenting in their sessions with honoria and travel support.
– You may submit more than one application; however, only one application per organizer or organization can be selected for the Convening.
– Collective proposals are welcomed and encouraged.
– Every proposal must be submitted under the name of one lead contact person, and this person will be the primary point of contact for all further communication.
– Please designate if individual presenters’ participation is confirmed or proposed. We recommend being in communication with potential presenters in advance of submitting an application – confirmed presenters make a proposal stronger.
– We recommend you prepare your application in a separate word processing program. When you are done, please copy and paste your responses into the submission form.
– Common Field will supply basic materials for sessions; breakout rooms will be equipped with a projector, microphones and speakers, notecards, pens, and large paper. We are unable to provide any other materials or supplies, and presenters are expected to bring their own computers and dongles.
-Common Field will document each session with detailed notes transcribed by writers will be in attendance at every session. Notes will be shared with session organizers and presenters as a resource and will also be published online as part of the Convening archive.
Link to Application: commonfield.submittable.com
The 2020 Open Call for Convening Proposals will close at 11:59PM PST on Monday, October 28, 2019.