Job summary: First Exposures seeks an experienced digital photography instructor with a passion for youth mentoring and education. Our ideal candidate is highly skilled in digital and traditional black & white photography with an enthusiasm to use photography and education as tools for youth and community empowerment.
To apply, fill out this application: First Exposures Digital Photography Instructor
Position details: The Digital Photography Instructor works directly with the Public Programs Manager to conduct curriculum planning and to ensure the needs of the programs are met. The Digital Photography Instructor teaches classes and leads activities for the mentees with the support of their matched volunteer mentors and FX program staff. The instructor is also responsible for equipment maintenance and minor administrative duties related to the program.
The Digital Photography Instructor is a non-exempt part-time position. This role will require a 12-hour workweek with an additional 12 hours of pre-semester planning, 12 hours of post-semester wrap up, and 10 hours of flexible time to accommodate trainings and meetings. Time beyond 12 hours a week is at the Executive Director’s discretion.
The Digital Photography Instructor role may have the opportunity to be expanded to include more hours for a candidate who is experienced as a darkroom and photo studio manager.
Pay range is $22 – $24/hr based on experience.
Complete position details and application can be found here:
First Exposures Digital Photography Instructor
– Teach weekly classes in digital photography using photo editing software.
– Plan semester in collaboration with FX Photography Instructor and Program Manager.
– Develop a curriculum that fosters community while prioritizing educating mentees on the key concepts and technical aspects of photography, including the use of Lightroom and/or Photoshop.
– Set-up and disassemble classroom space each week before and after class
– Responsible for regular digital archiving of mentee work
– Meet with mentors to debrief on mentee progress and discuss concerns as needed
– Communicate with mentees and mentors regularly regarding classes, attendance, and projects.
– Handle and coordinate weekly shopping for class and inventory with other instructor.
– Act as mandated reporter and contact Child Protective Services, Social Workers, CASA workers, case workers and families depending on situational needs with Director’s approval
– Support and encourage mentor and mentee leadership
– Act as a public representative of the program
– Bachelor of Arts in Photography or equivalent experience
– Minimum two years background in youth mentoring or equivalent teaching experience
– Highly experienced in both digital and traditional photography
How to apply: Please fill out our application here with an attached cover letter, resume, and example of a basic digital photography curriculum (either one from the past or a sample you create).
A note about applying: Often potential applicants are dissuaded to apply if they do not meet all of the requirements or experience, which studies have shown is especially true for those who come from historically marginalized identities. If you believe you would be a great youth Digital Photography Instructor at First Exposures, but do not meet every criteria, we encourage you to be apply anyway.
About Us: First Exposures (FX) leverages the power of mentoring relationships and photography to empower young people to thrive, express themselves creatively, and become leaders in their communities. We nurture the academic and social development of youth impacted by socio-economic inequities by providing a program to uplift their self-confidence, develop their creativity, and gain a sense of community. Our summer, yearlong, and residency programs provide free classes and technology resources to FX youth.