About Women’s Audio Mission: Women’s Audio Mission (WAM), is a San Francisco-based nonprofit dedicated to the advancement of women and gender-expansive individuals in music technology and digital media production, a field in which these individuals are critically underrepresented (less than 5%). WAM uses music and media to attract 4,000+ women/girls/ gender-expansive individuals a year to creative technology studies/careers, and believes that women/gender-expansive individuals’ participation in creative technology will expand the voice of music and media, ensuring that women/gender-expansive individuals’ views and ideas are conveyed in popular culture. Founded in 2003, WAM has grown exponentially to serve 50+ school partners across three school districts and includes two recording studios we own in San Francisco, an educational lab space in Oakland, and global reach online to 30+ countries. WAM’s staff consists of teaching artists, audio professionals, and passionate, hard-working individuals in a combination of full time, part time, and contract roles.
Watch videos about WAM: wam.rocks/videos
Position Summary: Reporting to the Director of Education, the Girls on the Mic Program Manager & Instructor will be responsible for the overall program management of the Girls on the Mic program that provides audio technology classes to girls and gender-expansive youth ages 11-18. The Girls on the Mic Program Manager collaborates with the Director of Education and the Education Coordinator to ensure strong program outcomes including curriculum development, collecting and maintaining accurate program data, creating program grant reports for the Director of Education, and managing the instructional staff including WAM interns. The ideal candidate has experience teaching youth in a classroom setting (min. 3 years), education in and experience with audio technology, and a background in program coordination including scheduling and managing volunteers or other staff. The successful applicant will be someone who is passionate about our mission of advancing women, girls, and gender-expansive people in the fields of music, media, and technology.
Primary Objectives and Responsibilities:
Program Administration (30%)
● Oversees all day-to-day logistics for Girls on the Mic youth program, including class booking, networking, materials and content management, and team supervision
● Oversee curriculum and class activities development and documentation including in-person and on-demand modules, with support from Director of Education
● Collects and maintains accurate student enrollment data, paperwork and attendance and enters into databases in a timely fashion
● Provides monthly grant reports and other ongoing program data to the WAM leadership team
● Oversees equipment management for GOTM programs
● Finding education resources to promote GOTM, creating newsletters and social media posts in collaboration with Marketing Manager
● Tracks program expenses, including transportation (BART, Lyft) and materials
● Participates in professional development opportunities, and skill-enhancing programs as determined by WAM’s leadership team
Team Management, Coaching and Training (40%)
● Manage and supervise part time GOTM instructor team including regular check-ins and ensuring alignment with curriculum and program outcomes
● Manage WAM interns in GOTM instructional settings and provide feedback to WAM Intern Manager on intern performance as mentors/teaching assistants
● Monitors and approves weekly timesheets for payroll
● Ensure necessary staff availability and coverage for classes, and rolling recruitment of instructors
● Facilitate onboarding and offboarding of new GOTM instructors, with support from Operations Manager
● Leads reflective, inquiry-based Professional Learning Community (PLC) meetings with GOTM instructors
● Coordinates networking and professional development opportunities for the instructor team
● Supports instructors with coaching, including observation and evaluation, offering feedback and other support with curriculum and instruction needs
Networking and Partnership Development (20%)
● Designs and implements engagement and outreach strategies for the Girls on the Mic program, including seeking new school partners and sites
● Regularly connects with school partners to ensure program success
● Attends virtual/in-person events (e.g., school partner meetings, district meetings, school project showcase fairs, Expanding Your Horizons weekend conferences)
● Builds partnerships with other Bay Area youth program organizations to implement integrated programs
● Provides instruction for Girls on the Mic classes, when coverage is necessary
● Support WAM’s events on and offsite as needed, including conferences, Local Sirens series performances, member and donor events, major fundraisers and others.
● General nonprofit administrative tasks associated with the effective operation of the organization.
● Bachelor’s degree
● 3+ years of instructional experience with youth in classroom setting
● 2+ years of program coordination and/or administrative work, including scheduling, managing volunteers, and/or other staff
● 1+ years supervising educators and providing support and feedback
● Educational background and/or equivalent experience in audio technology
● Experience using and setting up audio software such as Garageband, Pro Tools or similar, and audio equipment such as microphones, audio interfaces, mixing consoles and speakers
● Demonstrated curiosity to learn new skills related to audio technology, youth development, and education technology
● Strong organizational skills
● Exceptional attention to detail
● Excellent verbal and written skills
● Commitment to WAM’s mission to advance women, girls, and gender-expansive people in the fields of music, media, and technology.
● Bilingual in Spanish
● Experience with Culturally-responsive teaching and curriculum development
Location: This position is located in Oakland and San Francisco, with regular travel throughout the San Francisco Bay Area, with occasional travel nationally.
Compensation and Benefits: $55,000–$65,000 per year. All full-time employees receive a competitive benefits package. This position is a full-time, 40 hour/week position.
Women’s Audio Mission is an equal opportunity employer and committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. We strongly encourage applicants from all backgrounds and walks of life to apply. We encourage applicants who do not meet all of these ideal characteristics, but have a willingness to improve one’s self in response to feedback, and an enthusiastic desire toward learning new skills, to apply.
Apply online at https://jobs.gusto.com/postings/women-s-audio-mission-girls-on-the-mic-program-manager-81b21e2b-abf6-48c3-8036-71f3787951e0.
Please do not call or email about this position.