Handler, Art Services - Minnesota Street Project
Posted: Nov 28, 2022
Position: Art Handler, Art Services
Status: Full-time | Non-Exempt | Hourly
Compensation Group: Experienced
Compensation Range: $ 25.00 – $ 35.00 per hour
Reports to: Head Art Handler / Director of Field Services
Hours: Monday – Friday, 9:00am – 5:30pm (with some flexibility)
Minnesota Street Project is seeking a full-time Art Handler with expert customer service, art handling and transportation, and packaging skills to join our team of arts professionals. The Art Handler will exhibit a friendly and approachable demeanor with all Minnesota Street Project clients, staff, and vendors, acting as a positive ambassador for the Art Services department, as well as the overall Project. This person must value teamwork, collaboration, and community. This person will demonstrate an understanding of Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Access in the arts and in our daily lives and has cultural flexibility/agility and a commitment to fostering a respectful and inclusive work environment.
• Enthusiastically and diplomatically work in tandem with lead handlers in the field.
• Handle, pack, and install artwork at private offices, galleries and residences, as well as in our viewing rooms and galleries; professionally secure and transport artwork, all in accordance with museum standards.
• Assist the registration department with labeling artworks and performing condition reports; expertly store and track artwork in our warehouse, as well as our vehicles, in accordance with museum standards.
• Anticipate bookings/projects and take all necessary steps to streamline the incoming and outgoing processes.
• Offer respectful communication to all team members and clients.
• Is part of a rotation of handlers that embark on a monthly Los Angles shuttle.
• Is available for occasional work outside the greater Bay Area.
• Attend weekly department meetings, as well as occasional programming events at 1275 Minnesota Street.
• Keep vehicles and warehouse consistently clean and useable, bringing a proactive approach.
• Inventory supplies and administer reuse/recycling policies.
• Assist the crate shop and warehouse as needed.
• Perform other related duties as required.
• Available to work 5 consecutive days of the week, between the hours of 8am and 6pm, and occasionally beyond
Required Skills, Abilities, and Experience:
• Minimum 3 years’ experience at a museum, gallery, or art shipping organization; demonstrated expertise in art handling techniques, packing, crating and storing protocols, as well as client relations and team communication.
• Art transportation and shipping knowledge; valid CA license and ability to drive a 16 – 26’ box truck.
• Professional commitment and adaptability; willingness to safely shift directions for the need of the artwork or client, in a moment’s notice.
• Experience operating material moving equipment (VRCs, forklifts, scissor lifts, material lifts, gantries and pallet jacks).
• Outstanding communication and ability to take direction and ask for assistance, as needed, ensuring projects stay on schedule.
• Demonstrate concern for detail, accuracy and precise execution of work, all while being adaptable and willing to learn a new direction or skill.
• Excellent communication skills, both verbally and written.
• Work well independently and as a team; gracefully shift between warehouse, client, and office settings, whilst communicating along the way.
• Ability to safely lift 50+ lbs individually and 75+lbs as a team.
• Proficient with iPad and PC Tablets. Comfortable using computer databases.
Please email resume with the subject line “ART HANDLER – LAST NAME” to firstname.lastname@example.org. No calls, please. Thank you for your interest in Minnesota Street Project.
Minnesota Street Project offers a competitive benefits package that includes Medical, Dental, Vision, LTD, AD&D, Paid Time Off and Parental Leave, Retirement Savings, 401-k Plan, and Pre-Taxed Commuter and Childcare Benefits.